Friday, September 19, 2008

[inspire to be inspired]

Why is it that the best times to write are at the wee hours of the morning? The time when you should be sleeping but your thoughts are lucid with creativity and bursting to come forth through words.

It's at this time when we have no other distractions of friends, work or daily chores clouding our mind and we can take an honest and clear look at ourselves. A deeper look...to the soul. My soul is feeling inspired and it just takes one individual to simply highlight the great things we so often look over in our quest for an even greater goal. It's each battle which leads the way to victory, and too easily we forget that.

Nothing is more inspiring than inspiring others and this story from college reminds me that with passion, even in our weakest moments, we can inspire.

It's Just a Paper Cup


I have a plain white paper cup sitting on my desk labelled "minh" in pink with a yellow swirly sunshine and it means the world to me.

Meesh started laughing at me when I received my paper cup today "Oh my God, nobody understands that. Only board."

Touched, I ran to hug Minh and held the paper cup delicately, examining it through bleary eyes, as Linda looked on, a bit bewildered.

Let me explain.

At the very last MCC Programming board(MCCPB) meeting we all received a cup for a celebratory toast. As part of the toast, each of our cups had our name on it, and we were to present it to a person who had been an inspiration to us this year.

Meesh asked "Have you guys seen A Beautiful Mind? Its like that pen thing." One of the most beautiful parts of the movie...

Minh approached me today and presented me with his paper cup, saying "Do you remember that one night in the MCC?"

I remembered. The night I was at a personal low, completely utterly hopelessly frustrated with the organization I'd poured blood, sweat, and tears into drifting off into nothingness...and my biggest fear, future leadership--no one to assume co-chairship...no returning officers or members because of APSU's failures the previous year...and the show...the show seemed to be falling apart at the seams...It was the first time I'd cried openly...and in front of Minh.

"I saw passion."

I smile looking back. My fears were unfounded. Our leadership board sustained the organization for two more years. And I had a paper cup.

1 comment:

Justin said...

Great story, and great storytelling.

100% agree about working late at night; silence is golden.